Friday, February 12, 2010

I haven't updated in ages.

I even took the "updated weekly" out of the tagline for my blog. Actually, I did that a long time ago.

I haven't been completely unproductive. I've been reading, at least. Short stories for Creative Nonfiction and The Alchemist for Magical Realism. The latter was good, but not mind-blowing or life-changing like some people have claimed.

I also started re-reading Fat Girl by Judith Moore. I have realized that there is almost no dialogue, and it reads like she started writing, memory leading to memory, and continued that way for the rest of the book. It is still probably my favorite memoir.

I especially like the introduction.

"I am fat. I am not so fat that I can't fasten the seat belt on the plane. But, fat I am. I wanted to write about what it was and is like for me, being fat."

(There's a paragraph in between)

"I am not a fat activist. This is not about the need for acceptance of fat people, although I would prefer that thinner people not find me disgusting."

Also, the first sentence of the first chapter is "'You're too fat to fuck.'"

Pretty good stuff.

Also, I read a story at a reading, which was terrifying, but worth it.

1 comment:

  1. The story was pretty excellent, if I do say so.

    Keep up, ladyjane.

    ReplyDelete